SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn has some helpful tips to keep your Brooklyn or Queens kitchen safe from fire damage.
Cooking fires are the most common cause of home fires, follow these tips to help prevent cooking hazards in your Brooklyn or Queens home.
Don’t let a cooking fire ruin your holiday season, SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn has some helpful tips for preventing fire property disasters.
While most of us are thankful for spending time with loved ones and eating too much delicious food on Thanksgiving. There are more potential hazards in your Park Slope or Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn kitchen than over stuffing your turkey or yourself.
Year after year cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking accounts for about 47% of home fires and 45% of the fire-related injuries reported across the country each year. The NFPA says Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and then Christmas Eve. Make sure you keep yourself and your family safe this year with these safety tips.
REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE KITCHEN
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says 6 out of 7 cooking fires occurred while the cook was out of the kitchen, and 2/3rds of these fires happened in the first 15 minutes of cooking. So the best thing you can do to keep you and your family and property safe this year, ALWAYS watch what you’re cooking. If you’re using the stovetop, stay in the kitchen and watch closely. Also, experts recommend setting a timer periodically to remind you to check the oven.
OTHER FIRE PREVENTION TIPS INCLUDE
- Roll up sleeves and don’t wear loose fitting clothing that could catch and open flame or heating element
- Ban children and pets from a 3-foot “safe zone” around the stove
- Keep the stove and oven clean, turn pot handles in to avoid spills and cleanup any messes when appropriate
- Keep potholders, dishtowels, oven mitts, food packaging and other clutter off and away from the stove.
- Clean cooking equipment thoroughly because built-up grease can catch fire.
- Don’t over heat your oils, and wait for grease to cool before disposing, tossing hot grease in a trashcan could turn into a disaster
Smoke detectors are your first line for defense against a fire disaster situation so make sure you have one installed in or near the kitchen and make sure it’s working properly.
IF A FIRE DOES HAPPEN, CONSIDER THESE SAFETY TIPS
- Just get out, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
People often try to put out cooking fires themselves with a fire extinguisher or even water. NEVER use water on any grease fire. Store fire safety equipment in a cabinet or under the sink – It’s important to have a fire extinguisher close by as well as a box of baking soda or salt for grease fires. The first step you can take is turning the stove off and having a lid handy to put over the pan you can also smother the fire with baking soda or salt. If the fire is in your oven just close the door and turn off the heat. Done improperly your cooking fire can spread to other parts of your Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Prospect Park, or Park Slope kitchen, any time you are unsure of how to combat a fire your best option is to leave and call your local fire department.
CREATE AND PRACTICE A FIRE ESCAPE PLAN
In the event of a fire, remember that every second counts, so you and your family must always be prepared. Escape plans help you get out of your home quickly.
Practice your home fire escape plan at least twice a year, more often if you have small children.
Some tips to consider when preparing this plan include:
- Find two ways out. Visit each room of your house and find two ways out, including windows and doors. Make sure all escape routes open easily so you can get outside, and install emergency release devices on any security bars on doors or windows. Practice feeling your war out in the dark and with
your eyes closed.
- Involve children in planning. Consider having your children help create a fire evacuation plan. Draw a map of the home and have children mark two exit routes and the locations of smoke detectors. Make sure your children know NOT to hide from firefighters or other first responders.
- Choose a meeting spot. Decide on a meeting place outside, such as a neighbor’s house, mailbox or stop sign. It should be in the front of the house so emergency responders can see you when they arrive.
- Agree not to go back into the house after you leave.
Have a backup plan. If the planned exit routes are blocked and it’s not possible to leave the house, close all doors between you and the fire. Place a towel under the door and go to an exterior-facing window.
- Call the local fire department to report your location.
Whether you’re trying a new cooking technique or cooking your signature dish the way you have countless times before; practicing these important holiday safety tips can help you to avoid major mishaps that could lead to smoke or fire damage.
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn wishes you a safe and happy holiday season. If your home does experience fire or smoke damage, give us call at (718) 375-2388. We can restore your home “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn works quickly after a fire or water disaster, helping avoid interruption to your restaurant or commercial property.
Business interruption affects many parts of a business and can lead to a significant loss of profit, SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn can help!
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn works quickly and efficiently to restore your fire and water damage, with little to no interruption to your Bensonhurst, Flatbush, Coney Island, Brooklyn restaurant or other commercial property.
Running a restaurant or other commercial property is a challenge, time is of the essence when a disaster strikes your Brooklyn restaurant or other commercial property. Business interruption affects not only your relationships with customers but also impacts the lives of your employees and can lead to a significant loss of profit. Our technicians make your recovery process from smoke, fire and water damage as simple as possible, from performing an initial inspection and assessment of existing damages to finalizing all repairs and performing a final walk through.
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn’s fire and water damage restoration process begins with locating and repairing the source, making sure that it is no longer a problem. Each Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Prospect Park, Park Slope, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn property loss situation requires unique steps to ensure the safety of your patrons, employees and the workers performing repairs. If any hazards exist that affect the operations of your company, we notify you immediately. To properly remove standing water and other moisture that exists on your Brooklyn property, we use quality water extraction equipment such as; wet-dry vacuums, hand-held and truck mounted extractors, or submersible pumps, depending on the amount of water that exists and the size of the affected area.
Even a localized kitchen fire can quickly spread to cabinetry and counters, requiring the need for both cleanup and even possibly demolition and reconstruction of your Brooklyn restaurant or commercial property. Still, one of the most significant threats to a customer experience is the odor wafting through the dining area from a recent kitchen blaze. Our teams work tirelessly to clean, deodorize, and repair every damaged item found on your Bay Ridge, Park Slope, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn property. Our experience gives us a unique perspective when it comes to cleaning delicate cooking utensils or high-dollar appliances. We also use an appropriate antimicrobial, antibacterial, or disinfectant to treat potential health risks, repairing your Brooklyn property to a safe and healthy condition.
Our Commercial Fire and Water Damage Restoration Process
Fire and water damage can leave your Brooklyn restaurant or commercial property unsafe for potential customers. Our experienced SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn restoration specialists are trained to clean and restore your property with as little disruption as possible.
Step1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Fire & Water Damage Assessment
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
Step 6: Cleaning and Repair
Step 7: Restoration & Rebuild
Fire or water damage to your Brooklyn business is frustrating and needs to be dealt with by trained professionals to ensure further damage does not continue to impact your commercial property down the road. We understand the level of importance that surrounds maintaining a safe, healthy environment in your Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Prospect Park, Park Slope, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn restaurant.
You need access to SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn’s team of qualified professionals who are ready to provide you with the expert restoration services you deserve, a company that puts every effort into making damages on your New York City property disappear, “Like it never even happened.”
Have our SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn professionals perform HEALTH AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY Services with our HVAC & AIR DUCT CLEANING Team.
HVAC and Air Duct System will start to slowly collect dirt and debris, the cumulative effect of this over time can lead to considerable energy loss.
Health and energy efficiency is a major concern for many Brooklyn property owners and managers. It is becoming increasingly important to clean and maintain your HVAC and Air Duct systems to avoid any negative impact it could have on the health and efficiency of your local Brooklyn, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Prospect Park, Park Slope, Sheepshead Bay property and occupants.
As much as half of the energy used in your home or business goes to heating and cooling. Making smart decisions about your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system can have a big effect on your utility bills — and your comfort.
BENEFITS OF OUR HEALTH & ENERGY EFFICIENCY SERVICES
- Restore peak energy efficiency & lower energy costs
- Eliminate allergens and odors
- Reduce the potential for mold growth
Through normal HVAC use dirt and debris will start to slowly collect on the surfaces of your HVAC components, these contaminants if not properly maintained can cause a degradation of the efficiency of the entire system. The cumulative effect of this over time can lead to considerable energy loss and can be a contributor to higher energy bills for your Brooklyn home or business. In addition, allergy and asthma sufferers, young children, and other occupants with breathing difficulties are more susceptible to poor indoor air quality. We have been cleaning and servicing local Brooklyn HVAC and Air Ducts for years keeping homes and businesses air quality comfortable and efficient.
COMMON PROBLEM AREAS
These are common problem areas that contribute to restricted airflow, increased energy consumption and reduced equipment longevity:
- Duct and System Leakage
- Closed, Clogged or Stuck Dampers
- Filtration Issues
- Excess or Damaged Ductwork
- Failed Duct Liner
- Clogged/Nonfunctioning Exhaust Systems
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn professionals can perform an inspection to access your system and determine the depth of your problem and if your system could benefit from our cleaning and maintenance services. If moisture is present, the potential for mold growth is increased, sending spores into your Bensonhurst, Flatbush, Coney Island working or living spaces, creating a much larger problem.
HVAC AND AIR DUCT CLEANING
Generally, refers to the cleaning of various heating and cooling system components of forced air systems, including the supply and return air ducts and registers, grilles and diffusers, heat exchangers, heating and cooling coils, condensate drain pains, fan motor and fan housing, and the air handling unit housing.
PARTS OF AN HVAC UNIT THAT CAN BENEFIT FROM ROUTINE MAINTENANCE:
- EVAPORATOR COIL: particle buildup can have an insulating effect on the surface of the coil, leading to longer cooling times and greater energy consumption.
- HEATING COIL: dust and dirt will accumulate and clog air passages this restricts air flow and the furnace must run longer to reach desired temperatures. If a coil is severely impacted by debris, it can cause the unit to malfunction.
- DAMPERS AND TURNING VANES: these elements ensure proper air flow throughout your system, particles or larger debris like insulation can obstruct or diminish airflow, leading to an overall degradation of the entire system.
- AIR REGISTERS: dust and debris can accumulate on the blades and seriously reduce air flow, negatively impacting overall energy performance and comfort levels in the space.
- FRESH AIR INTAKE SCREEN: these openings are integral to the quality of air inside your building, they quickly become clogged from environmental debris and buildup inhibits proper fresh air from entering the system.
- FAN AND BLOWERS: particle buildup can reduce the capacity of the blades to move adequate air causing the blower motor to run longer while pushing less air per rotation.
When HVAC systems are cleaned of dirt and debris, it doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain the desired temperatures, air can flow more freely. As a result, less energy is used, leading to improved cost-effectiveness, longer operating life, as well as health benefits and energy savings.
Our team of professionals can inspect your Brooklyn HVAC or air duct system and access your specific situation and work with you to provide a solution to keep your business air quality healthy and energy efficient. The exact solution for your Brooklyn property will depend on a few factors, including the size of your overall duct and vent system, how accessible your HVAC system is to our technicians, and the level of maintenance required.
Give SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn a call for a Free Assessment, we are Always Here to Help! SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn (718) 375-2388.
The SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn Construction Team can help Repair and Restore these 5 Common Property Damage Areas.
Our building team can help restore and rebuild your Brooklyn home or business to a safe and welcoming place, again.
Putting your Red Hook, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Sunset Park or other local Brooklyn area property back together after a disaster can be challenging, our construction team takes pride in helping restore and repair residential or commercial property after a fire, water or mold disaster! Restoring your Bay Ridge, Park Slope, or Dyker Heights residential or commercial property, “Like It Never Even Happened” is important to us, making improvements after a disaster is common. Our professionals are skilled at working with home and business owners to help navigate a rebuild or remodel, our team is here to help from disaster restoration to the final walk through after reconstruction.
5 COMMON PROPERTY DAMAGE AREAS
- Bathrooms suffer common water damage mainly because they are exposed to several water and plumbing sources including sinks and bathtubs/showers in a localized area.
- Kitchens can suffer damage from both water and fire hazards and can see major damage to floors, appliances, cabinets and counter tops.
- Basements are prone to water and mold damage from poor drainage and ventilation, both finished and unfinished basements can see major damage from storm and environmental leakage and flooding.
- Exterior Elements such as a roof, doors, windows and siding are all common locations to see property damage from weather, water, fire and mold. Whether damage is small or extensive, taking care of these problems immediately can minimize continued damage to your home.
- Floors commonly suffer water damage and can significantly affect your home’s overall safety and structure, leading to costly repairs.
These common areas are ideal places to look for upgrades or remodel options when your property suffers from storm, water, fire or mold damage. The SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn construction team can help you reimagine your space and restore and rebuild your Brooklyn home to a comfortable, safe and welcoming home or business, again.
- Open-Concept Living: Consider knocking down a wall, creating distinct groupings for the space, and make sure to leave plenty of negative space to help separate the areas and provide space for walking around and entertaining.
- Upgrading Windows, Lighting and Fixtures: Adding a new window, skylight or new light fixtures can brighten up your space and create more flow for enhanced natural light.
- Aesthetics: Color can unify and update a dated space, research color trends and find a style that fits your property. Adding wall art, throw pillows, and other accessories can make the space more welcoming.
- Finishing a Basement: A moisture-free and properly ventilated basement can provide additional living space that is an ideal location for an extra bedroom, home office or entertainment area, and don’t forget some additional storage
- Upgrading your kitchen or bathroom: Updated cabinets, replacing a tub or shower, and new fixtures will make a huge difference, also updating your flooring, backsplash or adding an island for additional counter space are a few options.
A fire, water or mold disaster can ruin your possessions and significantly affect the structure of your home or business, which can result in costly repairs.
Our team at SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is here to help, we are trusted leaders in the restoration industry and we have the expertise and manpower to address the damage and make repairs. We take pride in every detail of restoring your Red Hook, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Sunset Park or other local Brooklyn area property and getting your life back to normal as quickly as possible.
Here to Help Tips: Because it’s important to us that you are prepared in case of an Emergency.
Emergencies happen everyday; we have supported countless home and business owners and managers with water, fire and storm property damage.
September was National Preparedness Month; it helps remind everyone that taking little steps to get prepared now, can make a big difference when an Emergency happens.
We here at SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn know that Emergencies happen everyday; we have supported countless home and business owners, renters and managers with water, fire and storm property damage. We understand that your lives are busy, it can be overwhelming to add being prepared in case of an Emergency to your list, and getting started maybe the hardest part. We also know that being prepared can make a huge difference when faced with a disaster and can get your life back to normal more quickly afterwards. Doing just a few things each month can have a big impact if the worst happens to you or your community.
This Month’s Here to Help Tips, start with getting informed and communicating with your family, household and community about potential risks and what your plan will be in an emergency situation.
Step 1: Make a Plan
Start making an emergency plan with your family, friends and household by discussing the types of disasters that could strike and what to do at different times of the day. Discuss how to prepare and respond to emergencies that are most likely to happen where you live, learn, work, and play. Keep your emergency plan as simple as possible and use places that are very familiar and hard to forget. Identify responsibilities for each member of your household and plan to work together as a team.
Fill out a Family Emergency Plan and make sure each member has a copy on them at all times.
FEMA.gov has a printable resource to get you started.
Key Points for building your Emergency Plan this Month:
1. Choose at least two pre-planned places for your family to meet in case of an emergency. One should be right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, such as a fire. The other should be outside of your neighborhood in case you cannot return home or are asked to evacuate.
2. Hold evacuation drills at home, practice getting out of the house quickly and drive your planned evacuation route. The more you practice, the more confident you will be if you really need to evacuate.
3. Communication is a key component to your safety; make sure you have an out-of-town contact that will help your household reconnect after an emergency. Store an “In Case of Emergency” contact in your phone, have regular conversations about whom to text or call if you need help and where to go during and after an emergency.
4. Create a personalized plan and supply kit for your specific daily needs and responsibilities, taking into consideration any additional friends or family that may be included in your emergency plan, such as elderly neighbors or grandparents. Some key factors to consider when creating a supply list are:
- Different ages within your household
- Medical and Dietary needs including medications
Step 2: Start a Disaster Supply Kit
While your family's Emergency preparedness supply kit and other essentials will be unique to you, there are a few basics that will help to prepare you for success, and get you started on the right track. Your kit should be organized and easily accessible, make sure your kit is easy to carry and contains these basics: water, medical supplies, medications, non-perishable foods, a battery- or hand-powered radio, a manual can opener, a flashlight, batteries, spare clothing items including socks, blankets, cash, tools including a wrench and pliers, local maps and your emergency plan, contact information, important personal and financial information, and a first-aid kit.
It’s also recommended that you have backpack kits for each individual and secondary kits in cars, school lockers and work locations in case you are separated during an emergency situation.
The point about Emergency Preparation is that you never know when or where a disaster could happen. It’s important to take steps now to help make sure you and your family will be prepared with needed supplies and essentials if a disaster strikes later. It’s our goal at SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn to be here to help you restore your property after a disaster, but we also want to try and help you be prepared to face a disaster and to take steps to try and avoid one.
If you have experienced a property disaster in the Brooklyn or New York City area and require some restoration help, give SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn a call we are experienced in getting your property restored, “Like it never even happened.”
Visit us again for more information about our Here to Help Tips, and for even more tips this month visit our Facebook page by clicking here.
Moisture & Mold Solutions for Your Brooklyn Home or Business
If your Brooklyn property mold damage is larger than 10 sq. ft, you should contact a mold remediation service like SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn
Indoor humidity levels between 30% and 50% are ideal.
Moisture problems in your Southwest Brooklyn home have a variety of causes and can lead to major property damage and encourage harmful mold and mildew growth.
Common causes of Moisture and Mold in your home can be:
- Water from a leaking water pipe, toilet, shower or bathtub, also weather related flooding in your home. Depending on the severity, conditions can lead to rot, structural damage, premature paint failure, and a variety of health problems.
- Excessive moisture from condensation and high humidity can have negative effects on your property and may indicate poor ventilation or that repairs are needed.
- Water can seep into your house from the outside through a leak in your roof, foundation, or small gaps around windows or doors.
- Normal activities such as cooking, bathing, clothes drying and dish washing also add moisture to the air.
All of these common problems contribute to overall high indoor humidity levels leading to mold and mildew growth. Mold can grow quickly and spread fast if moisture is left untreated, under ideal conditions (optimal temperature and level of humidity) it takes 24-48 hours for mold growth to occur. Typically you will start to see visible mold in 12-20 days, the more time passes the greater chance for mold to develop and spread through your property.
When you find mold damage in your Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights home or business it is essential to call for remediation services as quickly as possible, as mold can cause adverse health effects. Additionally, mold also leaves behind a musty smell and has the power to rot organic materials. For health and safety reasons, when you find mold, you should contact SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn professionals and have them remediate it for you.
When SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn arrives at your Brooklyn home, we can swiftly inspect the mold damage and then identify a remediation strategy. The first step to containing the problem is to set up plastic sheeting, block vents and doorways, so the spores cannot spread while the colony is being removed.
Certified professionals have the training and experience to:
- Identify moisture sources
- Evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected)
- Contain damage to the smallest area possible
- Physically remove contamination
- Dry materials to ensure that mold will not return
- Perform or recommend procedures for returning property to a preloss condition
It is a good idea to inspect your Brooklyn home or business regularly for any damage caused by moisture, if you notice any problems, take immediate action to fix them before they cause further damage or balloon into larger, more complicated issues. Here are some way you can reduce moisture and prevent damage in your home from water and mold.
- Install vent fans in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Run a dehumidifier.
- Cover dirt floors in crawl spaces with a plastic vapor barrier.
- Seal air and duct leaks.
- Houseplants can absorb moisture from the air
- Never let wet clothing or other fabrics lie around
- Avoid activities that add moisture to the air on humid days, such as taking hot showers and boiling water on the stove.
Indoor plants that help absorb moisture:
These are perfect plants to have in your home or business to help decrease moisture in the air, with the added bonus of purifying your air of certain contaminants at the same time.
Reed Palms, English Ivy, and Boston Ferns
These plants will reduce humidity levels by absorbing moisture from the air through their leaves.
Some moisture problems in your Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst or Brooklyn Heights property may require more complex solutions, and sources of moisture may be hidden.
Consult SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn for a complete inspection if you have serious water damage or mold problems due to humidity, condensation or a water leak or flood. Luckily, our team at SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is highly qualified and trained in water and mold remediation and restoration services. Every Brooklyn and Manhattan water and mold restoration situation is unique and we treat them that way.
We are here for you in these very stressful times, our team is Always Here to Help! Contact SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn @ 718-375-2388!
Our experts will come in and assess your Brooklyn water or mold problem, take the proper steps to limit additional damage. Our teams works quickly to eliminate the water, prepare the area for our advanced drying techniques, inspect for additional damage or mold and work with you to restore your property back to a stable, safe and healthy condition.
Big Concerns: Hurricane Season 2018 Preparing for Intense Storms
Knowing the category of a hurricane can help you understand how threatening it may be. It is never too early to start preparing for an emergency.
The 2017 Atlantic hurricane season produced 17 named storms, 10 hurricanes and six major hurricanes, including three Category 4 hurricanes that made landfall in the United States: Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria. It was the most active season since 1936.
When it comes to hurricanes, most of the overwhelming damage, is from the "very few strongest storms," Mann said. "What matters is how many Category 3, 4, and 5 storms we get, and we're likely to see more of those storms, and more damage… as a result." —Penn State climate scientist Michael Mann
Hurricanes are massive storm systems that form over warm ocean waters and move toward land. Potential threats from hurricanes include powerful winds, heavy rainfall, storm surges, coastal and inland flooding, rip currents, tornadoes, and landslides. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, Although, they are most common to Brooklyn areas during September and early October.
Southern New England is subject to all three hurricane threats:
- Coastal flooding due to the storm surge.
- Widespread wind damage.
- Widespread inland small stream and river flooding due to heavy rains.
Typhoons and hurricanes are both tropical cyclones with winds of at least 74 miles per hour. The only difference is where they are located. Typhoons form in the northwestern Pacific Ocean, while hurricanes occur in the Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, central and northeast Pacific.
Knowing the category of a hurricane can help you understand how threatening it may be.
Category 1: Winds range from 74 to 95 mph and can be expected to produce some minor damage to property. Injuries to people and animals are generally isolated and limited to flying or falling debris. During a Category 1 storm, protected glass windows generally remain intact. Some roof damage to frame homes, apartments, and shopping centers can also occur, as well as short-term power outages due to snapped power lines and downed trees.
Category 2: Winds range from 96 to 110 mph and can be expected to produce extensive property damage. Greater wind velocities mean that debris poses a greater threat to humans and animals, while the roofing, siding, and glass windows (protected and unprotected) of frame homes are more vulnerable to damage. In a Category 2 storm, significant structural damage to apartment buildings, mobile homes, and shopping centers is also expected, as well as flooding in low-lying areas. Extensive power outages ranging from a few days to a few weeks are common, and residents are encouraged to stock up on potable water as filtration systems also fail during this time.
Category 3: Winds ranging from 111 to 130 mph cause significant damage to property, humans, and animals. Mobile and poorly constructed frame homes are often destroyed, and even well-built frame homes commonly sustain major damage. Significant damage to apartments and shopping centers (even those made of wood or steel) can be expected. Category 3 storms can also cause extensive inland flooding. Electricity and water are commonly unavailable for several days to several weeks after the storm, therefore it’s important for residents to have their own stores of canned food and water.
Category 4: Winds range from 131 to 155 mph and can cause catastrophic damage to property, humans, and animals. Severe structural damage to frame homes, apartments, and shopping centers should be expected. Category 4 hurricanes often include long-term power outages and water shortages lasting from a few weeks to a few months, so again, it’s important for any remaining residents to have a significant nonperishable food and water supply at hand.
Category 5: Winds at or greater than 155 mph cause catastrophic damage to property, humans, and animals (read: you should be nowhere near this storm!). Complete or almost-complete destruction of mobile homes, frame homes, apartments, and shopping centers should be expected, and nearly all trees in the area will be snapped or uprooted. Power outages can last for weeks and possibly months. Long-term water shortages should be expected as well, and most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
The strongest hurricanes, have brought severe water and storm damage to coastal locations, including Southwest Brooklyn and other local Brooklyn areas including, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, and Dyker Heights, while totally disrupting utility power for days across the interior from downed trees and high winds. Both the stronger hurricanes and many of the weaker tropical storms have caused inland river flooding in parts of the New England. History shows that everyone living in southern New England must take tropical storms and hurricanes seriously. Whether you live along the coast, by a river or stream, or far inland, a tropical storm or hurricane striking Southern New England will affect our local area, SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is ready to help you repair your home/business water damage.
The Difference Between a Hurricane Watch and a Hurricane Warning
The difference is 12 HOURS. A watch is issued when a hurricane or tropical storm is possible within 36 hours. A warning is issued when those same conditions are expected within 24 hours.
It’s important to take steps while you have time before a storm arrives to protect the well-being of your family/employees and home/business.
Step 1: Have an Emergency Communication and Evacuation Plan; have a predetermined location both on your property, like the large tree in the front yard, or the family station wagon; and in your local town to meet incase an emergency causes your family to separate. It’s also a good idea to discuss a relative out of town that will be a check-in since it could be difficult to reach others in the same emergency area.
Step 2: Supplies; you should have enough supplies in your home for 72 hours for each member of your family, this includes having specialty items for babies and children or the elderly. You should also have an emergency and first aid kit for your home, your car and each person should have a personal kit for themselves. Another good thing to think about is flashlights, batteries and multiple copies of area maps.
Step 3: Insurance Coverage; consider your coverage for flooding, it’s important to have contact information incase of an emergency and make sure you know what to do if a storm causes damage to your property. If flooding is predicted try and move your vehicles to a safer location. Taking a home inventory can be as simple as snapping cell phone photos of the contents in each of your home’s rooms, and recording the item number or serial number of more important items.
Step 4: Important Documents; you should keep copies of important documents including; proof of ownership for homes, cars and other property. Make sure to keep copies of you and your family’s personal identification and banking information. It’s also a good idea to have some cash available, after a storm getting to an ATM or bank maybe difficult depending on the severity of the damage.
Step 5: Secure Your Property; Experts recommend piling up sandbags at least 2 feet high as an effective barricade against floodwaters. Unplug unused household electronics and appliances, if you are evacuating consider shutting off electricity. Think about trimming trees to reduce any falling limbs and cleaning up things around your home and yard like potted plants, lawn furniture and children’s toys.
Step 6: Electronic Concerns; Aside from keeping extra batteries and chargers around during a hurricane, people are also encouraged to backup any electronic devices. It’s a good idea to store your data at an off-site location.
Call in the Professionals
The effects of a storm to a homeowner can oftentimes be devastating, sustained winds and flooding can damage your home and belongings. When storm and water damage gets serious in Southwest Brooklyn New York, there is really only one team to call—SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn! Our team is highly qualified and trained in water restoration, our experts will come in, assess your damage, take the proper remediation steps to limit damage. We work hand in hand with your insurance company to restore your home to what it was before. Like it never even happened!
- We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster
- We provide 24-Hour Emergency Service
- We are a Trusted Leader in the Water Restoration Industry
- We are Locally Owned and Operated
Every Brooklyn, New York water restoration situation is unique and our team will treat them that way. We are here in your Southwest Brooklyn, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights neighborhoods to help during your water or storm property damage, in these very stressful times and we are Always Here to Help!
When You Need Help, Call Us SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn at (718) 375-2388
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn went Back to School Early, Helping a Brooklyn School with Restoration After Water Damage.
Contacting our SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn team following any water damage, will save precious time and minimize losses to your property.
When flooding caused extensive water damage in a Brooklyn school, SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn was there to help with restoration and reconstruction.
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn was there to help, our certified professionals knew that water damage recovery starts with damage assessment, temporary protection, supervised implementation of emergency plans and ongoing monitoring. Our team completed the water extraction and dehumidification processes, thoroughly treated the affected surfaces to inhibit bacteria, mold and mildew growth, and began any necessary reconstruction of the school facility in record time, assuring that classes could resume as quickly as possible.
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn’s goal is to protect not only your belongings but also your health. We provide 24-hour emergency services that are essential to stabilizing and protecting your health and property from further damage.
When water damage occurs in a school or other commercial building, knowing what to do will save precious time and ultimately minimize losses to your property and building contents. SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn professionals have extensive experience repairing and restoring catastrophic water damage. Our technicians understand that unattended water damage continues to cause harm to your commercial property over time. Making it necessary to make quick, informed decisions, performing quality restoration services today, that save you from further damaging problems, tomorrow.
At SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn we take pride in our ability to erase the damage done by water, including damages caused by hidden problems. After 48 hours of exposure to water, there is a risk of mold growth in wet materials. Our Brooklyn water damage repair team of technicians put years of training, experience, and specialized equipment to work for you, ensuring the removal of all remaining moisture and a fast, effective drying process that you can count on. Our restoration specialists utilize infrared technology and thermal imagery to assess the full extent of the damage that your property has suffered. The technology can show our technicians areas where water might still exist based on a temperature difference. This process can ensure that the damage has not reached other areas of the building and confirm the completion of the restoration process.
SERVPRO STEPS FOR A WATER DAMAGE EMERGENCY
Step 1 - Emergency Contact
When you call, our representative will guide you through several questions that will help the SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn team respond to your water emergency more quickly and efficiently. This initial contact is an important part of a fast, effective restoration.
Step 2 - Inspection and Water Damage Assessment
They carefully inspect your properties water damage, determining the type of water damage and the areas affected. This is a crucial step to creating an effective plan of action that will result in a successful restoration.
Step 3 - Water Removal / Water Extraction
Typically, hundreds or thousands of gallons of water are removed using our powerful pumps and vacuums during the water removal process. The SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn professionals start this process as soon as possible to minimize further damage and to help prevent mold growth.
Step 4 - Drying and Dehumidification
After the bulk of the water has been removed, SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn local technicians use specialized equipment to target the water that is harder to access. They use less intrusive, scientific drying methods to draw the remaining water and moisture from your property with air movers and dehumidifiers.
Step 5 - Cleaning and Sanitizing
Water damage also affects your belongings, like furniture, clothing, and personal items. Our team of professionals can clean and restore items using a number of specialized cleaning techniques. They also sanitize with antimicrobial treatments and remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 6 - Restoration
The last step is restoring your home or business back to its pre-water damage condition. The restoration step can be relatively minor, such as replacing a few drywall panels, or could include major reconstruction, such as rebuilding entire rooms of a home or business.
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. When our disaster team arrives on the scene, they know how to handle it with expertise no matter the size or scope of the situation.
We take pride in providing our employees with the best tools, equipment, and vehicles to effectively and efficiently get the problem solved with minimal stress and impact on our customers. We know it is never anticipated when a water emergency occurs, but when you call in our SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn team, you can count on us to get things refreshed and restored, like it never even happened!
If you need help to cleanup, restore and repair your property after a water damage event, give us a call (718) 375-2388 we are always here to help!
More Intense Storms are on the Rise, bringing increased property damage in Coastal Communities like Southwest Brooklyn.
More Intense Storms are on the Rise, bringing increased property damage in Coastal Communities like Southwest Brooklyn and New York City.
As the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season continues, scientists are worried that U.S. coastal communities, including Brooklyn, and Manhattan could face more super storms with strong winds, storm surges and rainfall so intense that current warning categories don't fully capture the threat.
SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is here to help incase your Southwest Brooklyn; Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights Home or Commercial Property suffer water damage from a storm.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center forecasters predicted a 70 percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms with winds of 39 miles per hour or higher. Five to nine of those could become hurricanes, with winds of 74 m.p.h. or higher, and one to four could develop into major hurricanes, which have winds of 111 m.p.h. or higher.
We have been providing home property or commercial property damage help to a record number of local property owners in the Southwest Brooklyn; Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights and other Brooklyn and Manhattan areas during the last few weeks. We appreciate the trust our customers put in SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn to take care of their flooding and water damage brought on by these record setting rainfalls in our New York City/Brooklyn area. It is impossible to predict when a water or storm related emergency will affect your Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights property, but these are a few tips to keep in mind when the weather report is calling for storms and flooding in your area.
BEFORE THE STORM
• Keep the name, address, insurance policy and claims reporting telephone number of your insurer and agent in a safe and easily accessible place.
• Take inventory of your household items, especially valuables. Photograph and videotape items for verification and keep in a safe place such as a safety deposit box, and/or send copies of records to a trusted relative or friend who lives another state.
• Read your insurance policy and know what YOUR responsibilities are. Know what is and isn't covered, such as flooding, and know your general/specific policy limits and deductibles.
AFTER THE STORM DAMAGE. NOW WHAT?
• Find out the time limit on filing claims and notify your insurance agent in writing of the damage as soon as possible.
• If there are holes in your roof or your windows are broken, be sure to cover them as quickly as possible so that wind and rain do not cause further damage.
• Save receipts of what you spend and submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.
• Don't throw away any damaged items until an adjuster visits your home.
• Photograph or videotape the damage for your records and the insurance company. Make a copy of your home inventory for your adjuster
Call in the Professionals
Every Southwest Brooklyn; Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights or other New York City/Brooklyn area storm and water restoration situation is unique and SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn treats them that way. During your home or commercial property damage emergency, our team is here for you in these very stressful times and we are Always Here to Help! SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is highly qualified and trained in water restoration, our experts will come in, assess your damage, take the proper remediation steps to limit damage, and work with your to restore or rebuild your property. We are a single solution home emergency resource, also working hand in hand with your insurance company to restore your home or commercial property to what it was before. "Like it never even happened."
We are apart of the larger SERVPRO family, which means we have access to the best equipment and technology in the business.
We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster
We provide 24-Hour Emergency Service
We are a Trusted Leader in the Water Restoration Industry
We are Locally Owned and Operated
When You Need Help, Call Us—SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn, New York at (718) 375-2388
Fire and Water Damage in your Laundry Room can cause serious damage to your home.
When someone mentions they have a laundry emergency, most people’s first thought would be a red wine or grass stain, but here at SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn a laundry emergency is a much BIGGER deal! What you aren’t thinking about is without proper inspection and maintenance those appliances you rely on can really lead to a serious disaster in your home.
Washing Machines typically run a few times per week in most homes, and the typical life expectancy of a washing machine is 10-11 years, during that time it can wash up to 5,000 loads. Washers come with 3 hoses filled with water: hot water, cold water and a drain, that gives that appliance 3 opportunities to suddenly leave you with a laundry room flood, or worse widespread water damage.
To complete a full cycle of laundry you have to put those wet clothes somewhere, and it is convent that the clothes dryer is located right next to the washing machine, right? No one forgets to throw in the laundry detergent when doing a load, but forgetting to dispose of your dryer lint, well that can cause BIG problems. Dryer lint is very combustible, the accumulation of lint in your dryer and vent can reduce airflow, causing your dryer to overheat. An improperly vented dryer can have dangerous consequences and is a leading cause of fire damage in homes.
Steps to prevent a laundry emergency in your home:
1. Inspect the hoses on your washing machine regularly, remember to check for leaks thoroughly but be sure not to disconnect them. The best way to check is to start a small load on a short cycle and make sure you don’t see any water, with each cycle. Better yet replace rubber hoses with a stainless-steel option, they have a longer life span.
2. Give your washer some room, keeping it 6” away from the wall can help prevent the hoses from kinking. Also, make sure you don’t see a lot of movement, an imbalanced washer can move around enough to loosen or cause added stress on your hose connections.
3. If you seem to have continued problems with your washer install a flood stopper. It’s placed on the floor near your washing machine and when it detects water it can shut off the water supply.
4. It is recommended to have your dryer exhaust system cleaned at least twice a year. Make sure you remove lint from your filter and underneath it every time you start a new load. Don’t use dryer sheets and fabric softener and remove the back of the dryer regularly to remove trapped lint.
5. Check that your dryer vent outside is lifting/venting properly. When installing the duct line keep it as short as possible to accumulate less debris. Keep the area around your dryer free of dust and other debris.
Accidents sometimes happen even after taking proper precautions and performing routine maintenance in your home. We here at SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn have responded to dozens of calls for water or fire property damage caused by laundry emergencies. We specialize in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after fire, smoke or water damage. Our professional staff has the equipment, expertise, and experience to respond faster to any size disaster.
If you have a laundry emergency caused by Fire/Water Damage! SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is always here to help!
Providing 24 Hour Emergency service, 7 Days a week, (718) 375-2388 we are just a phone call away!