Why Choosing a Professional Brooklyn Disaster Restoration Company, like SERVPRO is Important?
Contacting SERVPRO Restoration Professionals near you is important to avoid costly secondary damages, our experience and knowledge with property disasters cleanup and restoration is the advantage you need to make it, “Like it never even happened.”
When a property disaster strikes your Brooklyn or Queens home or business it can be difficult to know what the next step is… there are so many options for what you “should” do next. Working with a trusted leader in Property Restoration and Repair services can help reduce the overwhelming stress following a residential or commercial property damage event. It makes sense to call your local Brooklyn SERVPRO restoration professionals, our staff has the experience, training and equipment to handle your cleanup, repairs and restoration needs from start to finish. Our crews and managers have been helping local home and business owners with property damage emergency services and working with insurance professionals for nearly 30 years. Our staff is well trained in dealing with the aftermath of both commercial and residential property damages following fire and smoke damage, flood and water damage, sewage and biohazard cleanup and mold remediation. SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn can help you with detailed documentation, generate accurate estimates, and work closely with the owner and insurance company to get you the best outcome. Working with trusted SERVPRO restoration professionals following a fire, water, flood, sewage or mold property damage event will give you peace of mind, and a friendly, highly-qualified restoration specialist by your side.
Big and Small Steps you can take now to prepare for a Brooklyn fire, water or storm disaster
Preparing in advance to handle a Brooklyn or Queens property disaster can seem a little ominous, but after helping countless local home and business owners during property damage recoveries in our community we know it can make a huge difference during and following a property emergency. Here are some key steps to take in advance that can be important to the recovery process and the overall restoration of your property.
- Know the hazards that are present in your area.
- Review your insurance policies and confirm you have adequate cover against each type of disaster you are vulnerable to. Also check your sum insured to avoid being underinsured.
- Take a household inventory and store copies in a safe location or online. Cataloging your belongings with a home inventory might sound tedious, but how easy would it be for you to recall all the contents of your home if you lost everything? Taking a home inventory can help you determine if you have enough insurance and can save you time and headaches when filing a claim following a disaster
- Prepare a disaster plan. Your plan should start with having somewhere safe to go. Think of someone who could house you and your family and talk to them about what might happen in the event of a disaster. Then talk to everyone who lives in your home about what to do if there’s an emergency and you are unable to return
- Have an evacuation plan. In some cases when you need to evacuate, there may not be a lot of time. Plan how to evacuate your home quickly and make sure everyone knows the evacuation plan. Make sure everyone has a list of emergency contact numbers they can phone
- Make sure to regularly check safety devices in your home, such as smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.
Spring Cleaning Offers Perfect Opportunity to Create a Property Inventory
Spring is a great time to spruce up and declutter your Brooklyn or Queens home or business, taking a broad look at the state of your property and check all areas of your proper for potential hazards and maintenance needs. While you’re deciding what to keep, trash and donate, it’s a great time to create or update your home or business inventory, review previous emergency plans and supplies and consider any revisions.
Keeping an inventory of your belongings will help you make sure you have enough coverage on your insurance policy and can put your mind at ease if something were to happen to your home or business, such as a fire, flood, or theft. In the event you experience an emergency like this, having a property inventory on hand can help make the claims process easier.
Tips to create a property inventory:
- Create your inventory online or keep a hard copy away from your home. If you create a home inventory but then it’s destroyed along with your other possessions, it won’t be of any use to you. Keeping it on a password-protected online database that you can access anywhere will ensure you don’t lose it.
- Document details like values, receipts, and date of purchase. The more information you include when documenting your items, the better. If you have receipts, appraisals, or product information for your items, be sure to document that along with the name, place of purchase and description of the item. You may even want to include the serial number for big appliances like your dishwasher or washing machine.
- Take photos or video of the items. Even if you have receipts, photos or video of the items in your home will help confirm proof of purchase when it comes to filing your claim. Taking a video can also make the inventory process easier — just video yourself going over each item in your home!
- Organize items by room. If you have damage to only one part of your home, having your list organized by room will help you determine what may be missing. Going room by room will also help you ensure you don’t miss anything — don’t forget to check spaces like closets, attics, and basements.
- Keep track of the date. Each time you update your home inventory, you should make note of the date. This way, you’ll know when you last added new items, updated values of old ones, and can plan for when you’ll need to update again.
What to include in your home inventory
When it comes to your home inventory, it’s better to over-document than to leave something off. Even smaller items, like clothes and shoes, can add up quickly. For those items that may not hold significant value, keeping a list of how many of each you have will suffice. For everything else, like high-end items, jewelry, appliances, and electronics, you’ll want to document with more detail.
Making the call to the right restoration and clean up service provider can save you valuable money and critical time during the restoration process. SERVPRO of Southwest Brooklyn is a one-stop cleanup, restoration and repairs company that offers restoration, renovation and complete rebuilding to reverse your devastating fire, smoke, water, flood and storm property damage and to do so “Like it never even happened.”